Getting or Gifting a Drone For Christmas?
Here’s the Top 3 Things You Need to Know.
It’s about that time of year! If you were good, you might expect to see a drone under the tree.
Before you unbox or gift one to friends or family, learn the top 3 things you should know about drones before you fly.
Watch the video below!
- Who needs a certificate anyways?
- Weight classes are the big deciding factor here. If the drone weighs more than 250g, then the pilot will require certification before they can fly it outside. The drone will also need to be registered. The written exams for certification and registration can be completed through the Transport Canada Drone Management Portal
- Where can you fly?
- Basic category pilots are restricted to flights outside of controlled airspace, and must remain 3 nautical miles (5.6 kms) from airports, 1 NM from heliports and 100’ from bystanders. If you’re not sure if that’s you, check out this tool! We also have a hand flow chart here.
- Advanced category pilots have more flexibility in where they’re allowed to operate. It’s a bit more work, and requires an in-person assessment in addition to the online test to get certified
- How easy is it to get certified?
- While training can seem like a hassle before you get started, it’s valuable for more than just passing your tests. When you really understand your gear and all of the factors that affect your flight, it becomes way more fun! Basic category pilots can get trained and certified in one day! It’s a great way to get started, so why not start now!
Check out our top picks!
We offer online training bundles that include ground school, exam prep and checklist preparation guides for under $100! Gift cards are available too! Pick up the perfect drone-related gift to make sure your favourite drone enthusiast enjoys their new machine today, and for the future.