What on earth is an RPAS?

RPAS stands for Remotely Piloted Aircraft System. It’s the technical term for “drone” and it is the official government term you will see in any laws or regulations related to drones.

What is Coastal Drone Co?

Coastal Drone Co is a company dedicated to helping drone pilots learn the skills they need to pilot effectively and navigate the rules and regulations surrounding drones in Canada. Whether you’re an individual looking to fly for a hobby, or a professional looking to establish a coordinated UAV team for your business, Coastal Drone Co is here to help get you flying safely and legally.

Do I need certification?

Almost certainly. If your drone is between 250 grams and 25 kilograms, you are going to need to register it with transport Canada and get a drone pilots certificate for yourself.

What happens if I fly without certification?

Flying without a license can lead to some hefty fines. Individuals caught flying without a license can face fines of up to $3000 for their first offence. For organizations, those fines can go up to $15,000! We really don’t recommend it.

What kind of certification do I need?

It depends on the type of flying you plan on doing. If you are more than 30 meters from any bystanders, not flying in controlled airspace, and not flying over top of any buildings or people who aren’t part of your operation.

I just want to fly my drone on my own property. Why do I need certification?

While you are generally free to do whatever you want on your own property, the rules change a little when you are talking about flying objects. Drones have the ability to fly into airspace that is sometimes used by low flying airplanes and helicopters which lead to the risk of a collision or serious accident. This means it is important that their pilots have the knowledge and ability needed to safely pilot their drone.

What kind of training do I need?

While you aren’t legally required to take ground school by Transport Canada, the exams that you are required to take can be quite challenging if you’re unprepared. Coastal Drone Co offers ground school for both basic and advanced certifications that will prepare you to take the pilots exam and develop the skills you need to fly safely and professionally.

I am visiting from another country so I can’t take the Transport Canada Exam. Can I still fly?

Yes, you can! The process is slightly different than it would be for Canadian citizens, but is definitely still possible to get permission to fly. In order to get permission to fly as a foreign pilot, you will need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate which will ask for proof that you have taken a comparable ground school to those needed to get your Canadian certificate. Our basic course for foreign pilots will give you the training you need to get approved for your Special Flight Operations Certificate.

I hold an SFOC. Do I still need certification?

Yes. As of June 1, 2019, all SFOCs related to drones that were issued before that date have become invalid. You will need to get a basic or advanced certification to fly a drone regardless of whether you held an SFOC previously.

Do you offer group rates?

Absolutely! If you’d like to organize a group rate, reach out to [email protected] and we’ll be happy to work something out with you!

I have another question...

4 + 4 =